Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Don't swing from the chandeliers

We get a whole bunch of new Russians today! Also, since we've been here six weeks, we get some who are also going to Samara! It's kind of a big deal. So yeah, I just heard a sister moving into her dorm say something about Samara and I kind of sprinted down the hallway to see her and may have been a little loud and overwhelming. Whoops.

So last week after I wrote my email we polished crystal in the temple (which was closed). We polished little rods and hanging beads, hundreds of them, and dismantled and reassembled chandeliers. It was extremely relaxing. And really, really satisfying. Everything was glittery and in its proper place, and I was pretty happy about it.

Speaking of the temple, I heard from multiple sources that my sister was on the grounds on Sunday at the exact same time I was there. Molodets Anna for managing to avoid me. Truthfully, most people were avoiding us, thirty missionaries standing in a circle singing Christmas hymns in Russian in July. We don't always sing Christmas hymns, but we like to and anyway rumor has it Russians sing Christmas hymns all year round, so why not?

I've gotten to the point where I can read cyrillic fast enough to also read the alto line of songs, and it's made things 380% better. Still there are words that throw me, of course. There's a couple places in certain hymns where I just can't say the words and it's kind of entertaining. Like the word vzglyad. That means "look", "glance", or "opinion". I can say it normally but when it's coming at me at quarter note = 116 and is in cyrillic it looks more like B3rARD and my brain panics.

Other things: I'm enjoying hearing my little phrases creep into other people's vocabulary. I don't know if the sisters in my district have gotten funnier or if I've just lost my mind but I pretty well laugh non-stop between 9:30 and 10:00 and I just love everyone okay

I've been thinking about Ezekiel 36:26 and Mosiah 27:26. Don't hesitate to let God make you into who you need to be. It can be kind of like ripping out your heart sometimes, but your new heart will be warm and vulnerable and actually able to care for others and help them.

All my love,
Sister Nielsen

No comments:

Post a Comment