Friday, June 19, 2015

MTC Week 2: Learning Russian is charades

Hey family/friends,

The MTC made us move today, which we thought would be un-fun but it turned out pretty great, because now we're in a room that's actually designed to hold six people. The last one was for four people and we were pretty cramped, we can finally stop living out of our suitcases so much. It's also pretty great because it's newly renovated, as in it was fenced off last night and now it's not. They moved us so that all the Russians can be together, the Japanese speakers took over our old floor. We're getting new Russian-speaking missionaries today and I'm excited. The older syostri in our zone leave for Russia on Sunday so my district will be the Russian sisters who've been here the longest. I'm excited for the syostri going to Russia but apprehensive because we still don't know what we're doing here.

To people who have sent me letters: Thank you so much! I very much appreciate it.

Russian is going pretty well, I'm kind of astounded at how fast the others who had no previous Russian are learning. It's not normal. I think Sister Hullinger swallowed our vocab and phrases book because she already knows way more words than me, and Sister Foote has the weirdest knack for grammar, which is kind of astounding. It makes sense, though, because I always thought Russian grammar was kind of like quantum mechanics, and she's a chemist. For myself I'm just amazed at what I can understand when people talk. The least I understood was when a sister gave a talk in Sacrament meeting in Ukrainian.

Anyway, It's gotten weird to say yes, no, please, and thank you in English. It's awkward when we interact with people who aren't Russian.

I didn't mention much about my district before but I love them. Six of us went to BYU and the other three are BYU Idaho people. It's a good time.

Okay so I've been thinking about Galatians 2:20 and Mark 10:38 (I know that bit also exists in Matthew and probably Luke and John too, so) and what it means to repent and be a disciple of Christ and really follow him in everything. I'm so grateful for the Atonement!

I'll go see if I can send pictures.

All my love,
Sister Nielsen

pictures: my district, with Sister Martinez from my home ward, and with my companion Sister Larsen.


No comments:

Post a Comment